Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Mansion

My friend Maria and I were on our weekly Sunday morning power walk and turned down a street we weren't familiar with. A man out walking his dog sent us in a direction that connected with the trail up to Pittock Mansion. We've been planning to hike up to the mansion eventually, so today seemed like the perfect time.

We got to the top and walked over to the overlook area. I was scanning my brain to remember when the last time I had visited. It suddenly occurred to me that it was a year ago, almost to the hour, that I had been there with Laurence and his sister, Paula. We had taken her to breakfast and then took a drive to show her some sites of Portland and ended up at Pittock Mansion. We took some pictures, walked around the grounds and then went back home so Laurence could rest.

Maria and I sat on a bench to eat our snacks and I was overwhelmed with emotion as so many memories flooded back into my mind. When I first moved to Portland, I hiked up the trail to the mansion many times. I sat on the same bench we were on, appreciating the beauty surrounding me and prayed for someone to share my life with. When I met Laurence we made it a regular spot to enjoy a picnic lunch and people watch. Now I realized it was the last place Laurence and I visited.

There was no mistake that we ended up there today. A powerful reminder of love, beauty and the presence of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment